This information resource is for private sector employees in Western Australia. It is general information only and not intended to be a substitute for legal advice. By using the information on this page, you agree to our full disclaimer.

There are two systems of employment law in Western Australia: a state system and a national system. While this information resource is suitable for both state system employees and national system employees, it will help you to know which system of employment law you are covered by. If you are unsure, please see our publication: Q&A: State or national for WA employees.


Quick Summary

It’s important to know what type of employee you are because this impacts what benefits you can get, such as holiday pay and sick pay, and what your employer needs to pay you. It can also change the claims you can make and options available for you.

Employees can be casual or permanent, and permanent employees can be fulltime or part-time.

If you are a casual employee, you do not get holiday pay and you don’t get paid on public holidays or when you are too sick to work. Instead, you should be paid what is called a casual loading, which is extra money on your hourly rate to make up for not getting paid leave and the security of a permanent job.

Casuals are generally not entitled to notice of termination or redundancy pay.

If you are a permanent employee, you should get a certain number of paid holiday and sick days, as well as notice of termination and payment if your job is made redundant. There are also other entitlements that apply to you if you are a permanent employee.

Your employment contract is very important in determining what type of employee you are, but it is not the only factor to consider.



There are different types of workers in WA. You could be working as an employee, a contractor or doing unpaid work as a volunteer. This Q&A mainly considers different types of employees, for example permanent and casual employees. It also considers the differences between employees that work full time versus part time hours. Employees can also fall under special categories, such as labour hire employees and apprentices.

This Q&A should be used as a guide, if you have any specific questions about your employee type you should consider making a request for free legal advice by completing the online form on our website.